View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 02:30 PM   #79 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbovr41991 View Post
I always liked this bodystyle and it looks to be to be extremely aerodynamic.
It sure would be nice to see a complete body tuft test of the MX-3 to see just where the problem areas are with the car.

Besides needing a sharp break in the bodywork at the rear quarter panel, I can't see what makes the Cd so lousy. Perhaps it has to do with the tires sticking out into the breeze at the bottom of the rocker panels ??
I know that the Cd dropped to .31 with the factory body kit that added a small diverter in front of the tires.

The underside is a mess on the MX-3, but is it really enough to drive the Cd up this high ?

To me, the car looks to be a diamond in the rough shape wise. When seen from the top, the car does not taper inward at the rear quarter panels like the Insight, however, the glass has a very nice curve.

Also consider the rear curve on the LS-430 was very minimal when seen from the top, yet the car achieved a .25 Cd .

If the aerodynamic problem areas on the car could be found, it would seem an easy way to extend your range with this car.

Here is a thread i started on the subject : http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...3-a-15815.html