View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 05:48 PM   #66 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
parallel

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Thinking in parallel. Have you seen this?
Howard Hughes did a short run of these simultaneous with the Hercules H-1. I took the picture at the Evergreen Air Museum.

Shades of Ed Roth. What's with the plastic facing? A parting agent?
I've not seen Howard's boat.I like it! It would make a fine truck shell.Thanks!
Ed "Big Daddy"Roth.Now there's a character! He used to attend the Teen Fair in Los Angeles.He had an air-brush booth and would do T-shirts to the customers specifications.Amazing to watch! The Von Dutch of cotton cloth!
And George Barris would do in 3-D what Roth did with ink.I got to go on a field trip to Barris' studio.He used every trick in the book to create his one-off creations.Fun!
------------------------------------------------------------------------
The plastic facing is tooling epoxy which goes on first,over 3-coats of polyvinyl alcohol mold release agent.
As the epoxy begins gelation,plaster-soaked hemp birdnests are added on to create the composite mold.USG has a line of professional molding plasters used for these.They're tough enough for vacuum-bagging and autoclaves.
If the drywall compound plug is destroyed (and probably will be) during separation it's no big deal,since you have the tough female tooling for the actual part making.
If you're careful with the splash you can layup multiple parts.The 1953 Corvette was created this way.
Sand mix concrete,with a rich mixture of Portland cement can also be used for tooling.Hardware cloth,chicken wire,and 10-10 remesh can be embedded within the matrix for reinforcement.And lifting eyes can be incorporated into the design,as these molds are extremely heavy.The concrete can be primed,painted,wet-sanded,and polished to a glass-like finish.
The stingers for 'poco-loco' and 'Viking' were cast in this type of ferro-cement mold.
BamZipPow (11-20-2012), freebeard (11-20-2012), Varn (12-04-2012)