View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 09:40 PM   #67 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Quote:
I've not seen Howard's boat.I like it! It would make a fine truck shell.Thanks!
I think one would make a great barn find. You know they're out there.

Here's the rest of what I got. I cranked on that second picture as hard as I could with Unsharp Mask and a High-pass Filter, but I couldn't get readable text. It appears the length was 7', beam 42" and depth 17"; with maybe 56lb weight. I would speculate that where the airplane used 7 plys the dinghy used more like 3. The sample case in that last picture (embiggens more) is very interesting. I see hat-sections, z-sections, arbitrary angles and I-beams. I'm using 1/4" redwood instead of veneers because I have a good supply.

I'm going to be one county over from McMinnville, OR on Thursday, but I can't spring for a ticket just to try again. It's sitting there right under the left wing of the 'Spruce' Goose, anybody can walk right up and not touch it.

Quote:
Ed "Big Daddy"Roth.Now there's a character!...I got to go on a field trip to Barris' studio.He used every trick in the book to create his one-off creations.Fun!
Yup. Last night I was searching through everything in Google Images by Harry Bentley Bradley. There was an interesting guy; he did Detroit, customs and the first run of Hot Wheels. I was hoping to find a series he did on VWs for VW Greats that show some interesting fender vents and hubcaps. I've got the issue somewhere. Find it? My Attention Deficit laughs.

Quote:
The plastic facing is tooling epoxy which goes on first,over 3-coats of polyvinyl alcohol mold release agent.
As the epoxy begins gelation,plaster-soaked hemp birdnests are added on to create the composite mold.USG has a line of professional molding plasters used for these.They're tough enough for vacuum-bagging and autoclaves.
If the drywall compound plug is destroyed (and probably will be) during separation it's no big deal,since you have the tough female tooling for the actual part making.
If you're careful with the splash you can layup multiple parts.The 1953 Corvette was created this way.
20 year ago I knew an artist named Jesse (as in "Hey, Zeus!) Nazareth. There was a guy with a lot of living-up-to to do. Anyway, he did a lot of works in epoxy, and he loved to smell the fumes. He's gone now—the stuff scares me.

Quote:
Sand mix concrete,with a rich mixture of Portland cement can also be used for tooling.Hardware cloth,chicken wire,and 10-10 remesh can be embedded within the matrix for reinforcement.And lifting eyes can be incorporated into the design,as these molds are extremely heavy.The concrete can be primed,painted,wet-sanded,and polished to a glass-like finish.
When I was working for an electronics recycling non-profit, I scored a paper shredder the size of a dishwasher. It was maunfactured in West Germany and sold for $3K new. I got it for $25. It has a 16" throat and can take 40 sheets of paper. It idles through corrugated cardboard. I want to use it to make papercrete. Though I was going to start with paving stones, papercrete is lighter in weight and I'll only have to pay for cement.