Thread: Tires and Rims
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2008, 09:20 AM   #15 (permalink)
Shawn D.
Harebrained Idea Skeptic

The White Car - '84 Mercedes-Benz 300td
90 day: 28.84 mpg (US)

The Blue Car - '86 BMW 535i
Last 3: 23.86 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by abshnasko View Post
I know that a thinner tire is better, but if I get a larger diameter rim do I have to get a wider tire?

by thin and fat i'm referring to the thickness between the rim contact and the outer circumference, not the width.

But I'm just asking in general: is large rim/thin tire or small rim/fat tire lighter?
No, if you get a larger diameter, you do not "have" to get a wider tire, but lower-profile tires are usually wider. If you really care to do the math, check out this spreadsheet I made for BMW wheels/tires and use the "Size Calculator" page (note that the "READ THIS FIRST" page is so named for a reason and you have to follow the instructions at the end).

In general, a smaller-diameter wheel with a taller-profile tire is lighter than a larger-diameter wheel with a lower-profile tire. In general, the lower the profile, the stiffer, and therefore heavier construction it will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpr View Post
yep, we're on the same page. but remember get the lightest possible wheels (maybe some real racing wheels and not some sears special - those tend to be pretty heavy)

check out summitracing.com they have a decent selection, or tirerack.com, you could easily get a decent set.
Note that the lighter the wheel, the less aerodynamic it usually is, and it's also less likely to be a narrow wheel (the manufacturers get more $$$ from building racer parts than eco parts).

Search for Flik, Rota, BBS, Gram Lights, and Kosei, all of which are known for light (albeit usually larger) wheels.

Also, check out http://wheelweights.net/

You could always go super-expensive and get custom wheels made by Fikse and get the exact size you wanted.