View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 01:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
shovel
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian View Post
It takes fuel to make power. What these downsized-and-turbo engines give you is the option to choose how much power you want. Along with that comes the ability to choose fuel consumption. Drive lightly and they'll reward you. Drive with a heavy foot and you'll get the mileage to match.

In the F150 Ecoboost comparison, you have to consider that the V6 turbo is capable of more power and torque than the V8. If you actually use that power, you'll necessarily consume more fuel as well. The beauty of it is, if/when you don't use it, you save fuel compared to loafing along with the bigger engine.
From my experience and understanding, I agree with the above.

No matter how efficient you happen to make an engine, there is still work to do in accelerating mass and pushing an object through air. Even if we refined the internal combustion engine to its theoretical limits of perfection, the efficiency of the vehicle as a whole would still come down to mass, aero, and driver input.

Because they're tuned for efficiency at cruise, I don't think any engine to date returns good efficiency when it's being flogged - so if you need to flog it constantly to achieve the momentum you expect, it seems only natural that's going to be less efficient.