View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 01:03 AM   #277 (permalink)
oil pan 4
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,528 Times in 2,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyLugNut View Post
Again, it depends on the mass ratio and the above mentioned parameters.
The guys on here have documented that hot humid air gives better fuel economy, but introducing liquid water to the intake stream does not.
I have chased down enough dead ends looking for real gains on water injected gassers to know they just aren't possible in the real world on road.
We are looking for MPG boosting mods that will produce real on road results in engines that were made for the masses at a factory, not custom built experiments that might produce a result in a lab setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyLugNut View Post
Why such an engine could not be built is not due to a lack of supporting physical principles. I have given enough reasons to build it. It is just an exercise in engineering it.
Seems simple enough to me. Build a fairly small high compression engine that can be put in a car, size and gear it so it can cruise near the edge of pre-ignition with regular gasoline. Then it requires water to further cool the intake air to prevent detonation at higher load such as going up hills or getting up to speed.
MPG boost mainly from indirect use of water injection.

This is why I think it works.
The Theory behind water injection improving power out put and fuel economy at least in diesel and brayton or combined cycle heat engines is based on enhancing the second law of thermodynamics. Water evaporation makes the cold half of your heat reservoir colder with very minimal energy, cost or effort input from the owner/operator. Usually all the focus is put on making the hot side hotter. The problem with that is more heat just about always means you have to burn more fuel which is no good for fuel economy or the excess heat strains, weakens or breaks down engine system materials and chemical compounds. A heat engines power and efficiency is based off the temperature differential between the hot and cold thermal reservoirs. Water injection enhances the systems measurable heat transfer.

There is also talk that droplet of water going into the cylinder and staying liquid until fuel ignition flashes it to superheated steam increases expansion ratio too.

Its been tested by other people and it works. I ran it and it produced results.

Since I have no way to alter the way air and fuel burn and no one else seems to be able to build a better mouse trap in that department that works under real world conditions. So I have no need to break it down any where near the level of classical combustion.
If something works use it. If it doesn't work and no one else can make it work then abandon it.