View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 08:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Recumpence
EcoModding Apprentice

My C-Max - '13 Ford C-Max SEL
Questions on C-Max aero mods........

Hey Guys,

I think I am currently the only one on the board with a C-Max. I have 3,000 miles on it and I am completely satisfied! I am averaging about 48mpg without trying hard and 52mpg if I pay close attention to my driving......

Anyway, I am looking at making a full pan and wheel covers, as well as removable grille block panels. I have a small machineshop with plasma cutter, TIG welder, etc. So, making everything should be a breeze. What I want to know is, what can realistically be expected from these mods? The undercarriage looks vaguely like a gen1 Prius (there are some aero panels under there, but it is still quite "Dirty". Also, with a full pan, I am curious about water drainage (I assume a number of drainage hols would be good) and exhaust heat buildup. I plan on using 1/16" aluminum sheet, or thinner if possible. The pan will be in sections to make service and removal easier. Lastly, what about snow and salt? Do those of you with full pans have issues there?

Oh, also, should I powder-coat the pan or is aluminum sheet generally OK in the elements.

Thanks for any input you can give me. I am a phenominal fabricator, but I have never done these mods before and I need feedback on these issues I raised.

Matt