View Single Post
Old 06-12-2008, 10:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
ttoyoda
Master EcoModder

Not to rag on you particularly, but an Ecofriendly converter box is the one that is never manufacured or bought. Since I watch no broadcast TV, I had too google to discover that:

"Congress has appropriated $990 million to pay for the rebate program, with an option to increase it another $510 million if it is deemed the original amount is not sufficient. If more funding is required, only over-the-air households would be eligible for the second round of coupons. The coupon would cover just about all of the cost of the box, currently expected to range from $50 to $70 a piece. It will not be permitted to be used for any other purpose other than purchasing the box, the Commerce Department said."
Source:
http://www.betanews.com/article/Digi...ced/1173725841

Only my sadly limited vocabulary of explitives prevents me from saying what I REALLY think of this expenditure of tax money. It is to be expected that govt. officials will waste and steal our money for their OWN benefit (youtube "bridge to nowhere").

The fact that govt. is wasting our tax money on making sure people KEEP WATCHING TV suggests that there must be some benefit to govt.
Now I wonder what that could be?