Thread: GEET Reactor
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2012, 01:58 PM   #89 (permalink)
RustyLugNut
Master EcoModder

At least we now see a path to a useful discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazInMT View Post
Once you give me the details, I'll run them by my Uncle who was a petroleum engineer working for Sun Oil in Toledo for 27 years and is known in the industry as an expert on trouble shooting fluid catalytic crackers to see if what you say makes sense to him.

I look forward to your reply.
I will pick-and-choose to reply to your questions as I see fit, as many of your questions will need more than a precursory answer. Also, you seem to assume I have a finished product on the shelf with every detail worked out. This is not true. I am here to discuss the possibilities. Can something of use be built afterwards? That is the point of this forum isn't it? Maybe it can be. And maybe someday this can be moved out of the unicorn corral.

And I would appreciate the input of your uncle's expertise.

Quote:
OK, Show what the energy content of gasoline is and show what the theoretical energy content of gasoline’s constituents is arranged however you like.
It is common knowledge that gasoline is made up of many compounds. Substitute fuels are used by industry to correlate lab results with numerical models. I choose to use the average carbon chain found in gasoline (C9) to make my model calculations. From there, we will have to do tests to see the correlation.

I will see if I can more fully flesh out my reply over the weekend. I will have to see how I may transfer work I have in a white paper, into post material.

Quote:
Then show the chemical reactions that take place to create the constituents, specifically what temperatures, pressures, flow rates, and catalyst surface areas are required within a GEET reactor to make the "Syn-Gas". I’m particularly curious about the source of the “Waste Heat” you speak of that increases the energy content of the gasoline and/or its constituent parts.
Again, I will answer more fully in the near future - work and family allowing.

But I will remark on the "waste heat" - you are kidding right? Grams per second of high heat content gasses are passing out the exhaust every second. Since our fuel processor ( let us drop the use of GEET since it is a known unicorn commodity and carries confusing baggage) needs heat to run it's chemical reaction it is an obvious source of energy that is there for the taking.

Quote:
Show how these constituents AKA "Syn-Gas" can be introduced to an ordinary car engine with yet more air, detailing their temperatures and ratios, and explain how this would create a more efficient consumption of the fuel outside the 98-99% combustion that already exists.

We can then discuss that.
As I mentioned above, many details are yet to be worked out. And your mention of combustion completeness indicates you are missing the point of the whole exercise - to provide a greater amount of fuel and energy to the engine via waste heat recovery. It is common knowledge that modern engines combust upwards of 98% of the fuel input. We haven't discussed combustion shaping as that is another large subject in and of itself, but is ultimately our goal. But that goal needs hydrogen. Producer gas has that hydrogen.