View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012, 10:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
jbadamo
EcoModding Lurker

Quest for better MPG

So after my wife got a new Ford Escape 1.6 turbo and 28mpg I have desided I will now have to modify my 05 FWD V6 Vue to try to match her. I drive 70 miles each day to work about 90 % on the highway at highway speeds during rush hour on I-95, Alexandria Va to Quantico Va, so 70 to 80 mph when traffic is good and 25 mph when bad. Today I can get high 23 to low 24 mpg and for this quest we will say I get an average of 23.7 mpg.

Step one I will lower the Vue next week 2 inches using Megan springs and new KYB shocks and struts and then post my new mpg average, higher would be nice.

Step two I will extend my front air dam a few inches post new numbers.

Step three I will add side skirts and then post new numbers.

Step four I will add a rear diffuser and post numbers.

I dont see underside mods since I dont have a lift.

I would love to hear from anyone who has done anything like this or has any good ideas on other realistic ways to gain mpg.

I do have two rules 1 truck can't look hoop tee and 2 can't cost alot.

BTW I know I will not get 28 but I do hope for 26. With this truck on pure gas I have gotten 29 before but with the crap gas here in Northern Va 26 is all I can hope for.

In my research popular mechanics did everything Im doing except they did not lower the car and no rear diffuser and gained 2.6 mpg.