View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 01:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Truck is too heavy not to fix the flat. And 20% under (load vs pressure) means tire ruination ("run flat").

Now, to run this thread off-track:

What tires are you looking at for replacements? I'd recommend the closed shoulder LTX A/S for its' cast iron virtues (despite my early loss of all of them to manufacture defect at 68k), but the wet surface traction leaves something to be desired. I had to move quickly and got the open-shoulder LTX M/S for which MICHELIN substantially discounted the price due to the loss. (And a Colorado 2WD CTD owner of my acquaintance is happy with them in all seasons with short off-road driving)

But I think I might have rather had the BRIDGESTONE Duravis r500 for highest mpg potential. This is a commercial-service tire. I have seen claims of up to 180k in on-road service (with comparable MICHELIN at about 120K).

Note the low/no weight balance requirement and "roundness" in this. IMHO, only MICHELIN and BRIDGESTONE make tires of this quality for pickups in their premium lines:

Bridgestone Duravis R500 HD Tire Test - Four Wheeler Magazine

After I purchase a new spare (still have to hit salvage yard for another alloy wheel: will be rotating more often than 25k and will do a 5-tire rotation as according to MICHELIN), will find an excuse to run up to San Antonio to eat lunch at Mi Tierra and have this service performed (and boy do I wish I could have this done to the company PETERBILT):

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techartic...ncing_shaving/

I will also add (probable brand) CENTRAMATIC wheel balancers as I also have them for the travel trailer.

FrankLee's approach to inspection, clean, paint, wax wheels is tops, IMO, prior to tire purchase. Trying to find the rotational "heavy spot" on each wheel may be worthwhile as well.

My alloy DODGE wheels call for a rubber-based, high-pressure brass valve stem to handle 80--psi pressure. Be sure to include rubber o-ringed SS valve stem caps.

Please avoid stuff like FIX-A-FLAT as it makes tire service a bear afterwards. An emergency can for the wife, maybe.

Last edited by slowmover; 11-25-2012 at 01:18 PM..