View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 11:20 PM   #22 (permalink)
Susanne
EcoModding Lurker

Hey - I'm the biggest skeptic. Auto industry consultants have the wind tunnel simulation programs pretty well down. When conducted by professionals, it is a more precise and better measurement of the effect on the drag coefficient than you can get rolling down a hill. Their task was to determine what the GasPods are doing. It was part of the R&D and economic feasibility study - whether the company was worth investing in at all - stage of business. They were paid the same, whether results were good or bad. Although useful when marketing, the CFD modeling was not conducted for that purpose.

Our goal is to benefit real world drivers, by reducing the cost and environmental effect of their day-to-day driving. I think we agree that a reduction in drag coefficient of one's vehicle does have a positive effect on their fuel consumption. I don't think the formula as simple as 50%. I think it varies as much as all things we might say about driving.

Scads of data are the only way to control for the multiplicity of variables that affect drivers efficiency. That's why we instituted our test team program with our first product release. First to give drivers a value to testing the product for themselves, and secondly, to build that data pool. Whereas driving behavior might differ at the outset, our test protocol puts that effect during the baseline - without GasPod - phase of logging. For most, habits die hard and changes in behavior over the cost of a tank of gas (The price to test team members is $59 - $79.) are pretty well controlled for over 4,000 miles of driving. Most people are honest, and our initial returns reflect that honesty.

However, if someone new learns to modify their driving, think more about their style of driving, or, maybe even become a hypermiler and join as a member of ecomodder to learn more - because of taking the first simple step of adding GasPods to their car - then, I think we have to agree that is a good thing.

Like I said, although it looks like a fun project, I would not add a boat tail to my car, but I have no problem plopping some GasPods on my roof - and I'm here learning more because of it. I think I'm indicative of most people in that regard.

Now, I know you love your roll down test, and will never be satisfied until its done, but,.... do I dare to open this can of worms?..... Well, I can respond without expressing an opinion, no company can advocate its use in California, in particular, when you have AAA and mainstream press publishing statements that its dangerous. Overcome that hurdle for your position, and only then could I have my staff consider it.