View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 09:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
NeilBlanchard
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
I just unplug the A/C fuse and run the windshield defroster without it. Yes, it takes a bit longer to clear moisture in certain situations - but that is what towels are for. There are at least three situations that I see fairly often when A/C definitely hurts the defroster working well: when there is a frost on the outside of the glass and I have not scraped it well, when it is raining and the air temp is close to the dew point (I have had droplets condensing on the inside of the glass) and most critically in an freezing rain storm - you need full heat to stay ahead of the ice forming on the outside.

As I mentioned, you probably should plug the fuse back in at least once or twice during the winter and run the defroster, if you want to avoid losing the refrigerant.

The controls in the xA do not modify the A/C at all in the defrost mode - it should shut off the A/C after a minute or so; and/or it should be manually toggled off (or on). The A/C light should come on when you are in defrost, but it does not; and if it did you should be able to push the A/C switch to toggle it off or on.

Sam, you should be able to coast in neutral (when you want to carry momentum) and get 200-350MPG depending on speed.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/