View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 07:12 PM   #71 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the custom builders.Looks like they spent thousands of hours having a lot of fun.Nice stuff!
While they were being paid for it!

Quote:
I've ended up living inside a sort of inverted ferro-cement hull.Living in 'Tornado Alley',it helps a little.
Given that 'low-cost energy-efficient and aerodynamic housing" is an area of interest to me; I'm curious about that experience.

In the 80s I worked as a designer and tooling maker for a geodesic dome manufacturer. They had a picture hanging in the in hallway of an aerial view of a Texas[?] town after a tornado. It looked like an unmade bed, except for a white hemisphere set in the middle. It wasn't their product, probably a Monolithic dome.

I haven't made much progress on the boat-tail; but I weighed the redwood bender board. It's 6 1/2oz/sq ft, so this:

at ~16 sq ft would weigh ~6.5lb. Boxing in the top and bottom would add 8 sq ft. Add 40% for framing and braces and another 10% for gussets and it would weigh ~15lb. At that you could still lift it off for engine access. Full Tropfenwagen would require access hatches. It will use oak dowels where the bike rack mounts now. I've been thinking about how to clamp it to the drip rail.

Remember the Coanda nozzles? Look at this:

That's really close, all it needs is more lip on the inner edge of the opening and it's there.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
ecomodded (06-27-2014)