View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 09:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
I very much doubt the sidewalls are up to the job. Cornering, braking and other instances where weight shifts . . and let's not think too deeply about potholes and the like . . turning and braking across a pothole. Etc.

The FA weight on mine doesn't change much. It's at 4,100-lbs nearly all the time. Were the OEM's able to get away with a lighter tire I believe they would. And I don't see a half-ton tire being a good choice (keeping in mind my dictum of never reducing the work capability of a truck . . else why have one).

CapriRacer -- that very handy guy to have around -- could nail it down for you either way. A certified scale weight of FA & RA (or, better, wheel-by-wheel) would be useful (otherwise the DODGE TOWING GUIDE) in this determination. Let us know what you find out.

Contacting BRIDGESTONE directly would also be good. MICHELIN has a fine guide and on-line help, for example. And hands-on at a dealer is always fun (the smell, alone, works for me).

And a cost analysis of the B-Alenza cost at 40-60k total miles vs the B-Duravis at 90-110k total miles would be useful. Comes down to how far you will drive in 7-years. The Alenza will last maybe five, the Duravis seven-plus. Economy is always the biggest picture.