View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 05:18 PM   #41 (permalink)
christofoo
Master EcoModder

00C - '00 Toyota Corolla
90 day: 43.54 mpg (US)
I got 43 MPG on yesterday's fillup!

Looking through the last 5 years of my logs (since hypermiling), I found 3 years with comparable (time-of-year) fillups, with an average of 35.3 MPG and a high of 38 MPG. (For the two years I excluded, both Oct-Dec tanks were 41.6 MPG, the reason I excluded them was they started in Aug or earlier rather than Oct, so they included a lot of summer driving. I drove it less those years.)

My feeling is that the AAP diaphragm problem was the biggest factor. The exhaust smells a lot better this year. See http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...dle-23542.html for more details. I'm pretty sure the aero mods and block heater are helping too.

The AAP fix and block heater install happened mid-tank, so 43 MPG includes half a tank under poor conditions, as well as at least 20 minutes of extra idling. It looks like I'm poised stay over 40 MPG the whole winter. Maybe more.

I'm excited.

I still have a rolling resistance problem that shows up when the car has sat in the cold for a while. (The problem is obvious when I roll out in the morning. My driveway is partially inclined, my car grinds to a stop midway. It's like a mini coast-down-hill test every day. Need to do some more troubleshooting, maybe inspect the caliper assembly real careful.) Man, if I could just fix that... then do some aero work on the tail end... maybe soften the front-wheel well too...

Last edited by christofoo; 11-28-2012 at 05:45 PM..