View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 06:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
christofoo
Master EcoModder

00C - '00 Toyota Corolla
90 day: 43.54 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ever_green View Post
well winter gas is upon us here in Ontario and my MPGs have suffered a good kick in the a$*...
Winter MPGs will also drop with increased air density, primarily due to increased air drag but also due to increased throttle loss. 10% summer-winter variation is normal. (I'm not familiar with your vehicles though, no idea whether your results are normal.) However:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ever_green View Post
...when i drop to neutral going downhill my rpms climb to ~1300rpm instead of staying at 800. this only happens below 45mph & when Not stopped, and makes coasting in neutral completely pointless.
This symptom makes it sound like your engine temperature is cooling excessively. (Do you have a temperature gauge?) Toronto weather is just dropping below freezing now? I wonder if your thermostat is broken. First thing in the morning you can start it and open the radiator cap. If the coolant is still, it's okay, if you can see it circulating, the thermostat is stuck open. (At least on my Corolla, it's really obvious.)

Ecky may also have a point, grille blocking to increase engine bay temperature may be in order.

(Being where you live, do you have / use block heaters?)