View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 04:39 PM   #32 (permalink)
visionary
Stick your neck out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bschloop View Post
I have yet to order the fiberglass. the question is if I don't want to use chopped strand mat, should I buy lighter weight cloth and use more of it, or heavier cloth and use less? I probably won't be able to get more than one different roll due to shipping..
Now I see the images, here's my advice on the fibreglass. Firstly I would use CSM without doubt - reasons are that its cheaper, easier to work and more versatile than woven cloth. Woven cloth is principally used for parts that require better structural performance ie. loadbearing, due to the greater proportion of glass in the finished matrix. But this only becomes critical if you plan to use vacuum bagging, and highly rigid resin types. As a novice I would advise you to go the simplest route where flaws are easier to avoid and your finished product has the highest chance of success.
There is a lot of snobbery around woven materials and many people unfairly malign CSM but it is without doubt the most suitable material for your design. By the way I own a $2000 Recaro race seat made with CSM.
As for material weight, I advise 450g (or US equivalent) heavier mat is more difficult to work with and its principle benefit (faster build-up) does not apply to your design, since you do not need heavy, thick sections nor are you working against the clock in a fast moving productiion facility.
If you need further practical advice PM me and I'll record you a short video on my phone.
Best of luck, Pete
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to visionary For This Useful Post:
bschloop (11-30-2012), MetroMPG (11-29-2012)