View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 01:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
wmjinman
Master EcoModder

Jimmy - '00 GMC Jimmy SLT
90 day: 21.18 mpg (US)

The White Gnat - '99 Suzuki Swift
Team Suzuki
90 day: 51.87 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattroddrebel View Post
my point today is before you mod you must look at you vehicle and evaluate its condition before you begin mods and data logging. Not everyone has a new car, I don't have one but I know its problems and i cannot expect perfect results having an imperfect starting point. So I have comprised a list of things to consider

1) Type of car- how many cylinders?
2) Estimated manufacturers MPG
3) Tire size and quality
4) Ambient temperature
5) Drag coefficient
6) Type of fuel-Flex? Non flex? Built before 2001?
7) Vehicle weight
8) Engine condition- Tune up?
9) Type of plugs and condition
10) Engine oil type
11) Engine oil viscosity
12) Type of transmission
13)Brand of car
14) Type of transmission fluid
15) Maintenance history
16) Quality of maintenance
17) Engine compression
18) Stoichiometrics- Engines vacuum measurements to define efficiency
19) Differential-type and type of fluids
20) Vehicle ballast-How much junk are you carrying
21) Vehicle aerodynamics
22) Passengers
23) Wind resistance during testing
24) Cruise control
25) Vehicle speeds

This is 1/4 of the list of things to consider before beginning modding.
OK, I'm sorry, but I don't get it. Before you start modding, you MUST evaluate ALL these things? (and the other 3/4 of the list that's not even on here)?!?!?!?!

So #1)... type of car/how many cylinders ?!?!?!?! How does that make a difference if I want to try - say - 10 more psi in my tires? An old Buick with a big V-8 may benefit, but a Geo Metro with a 3 cyl won't????????? Or a grille block - - - whoops, big Buick with a V-8 forget the grille block - it doesn't work on that model with a V-8 (wonder if I swapped in a V-6, though??). Or wait, maybe I've got that backwards.... it DOES work on the big Buick, but not the Geo??????

Going to #2) Hmmmm - manufacturers estimated MPG for the Buick is 12 MPG - yup, might as well forget the 10 more psi in the tires - that only works for estimated MPGs of 17.3 or more. Grille block? Yeah, sorry dude, that won't work either. Gotta find a car with a different manufacturer's estimated MPG.....

Let's see - - - #3) Tire size & quality. Same thing - whoops, my tires are too big and high quality to benefit from higher psi. - and forget the grille block - with those tires, I'll probably LOSE mileage.....

Come on!!! I look at every one of your items and can't figure out why those two mods would depend on ANY of them. Maybe certain other mods......or maybe not. I just read your list again thinking about adding a boattail or belly pan. I especially like #13) brand of car. Yeah, belly pans work great on Jeeps, but not worth a crap on Toyotas, maybe?

- or else I'm just completely missing the point you're trying to make.......