View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 12:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
cvetter
EcoModding Apprentice

More from Vetter on Streamliner Kit

Thank you for this new thread. At the risk of sounding redundant... there is only one optimum streamlined body shape for the conditions I am designing for... The Vetter Conditions of "70 mph, into a 30 mph headwind, sitting up and being comfortable, being able to carry a useful load - like 4 bags of groceries, being our first choice vehicle in the garage."

Other shapes may be for crouched-over riding or carrying no load, or for 55 mph riding... like the one that evolved in the 1980s Vetter Contests They don't address today's driving and are not relevant.

My latest Streamliner is the optimum shape for today's conditions. Oh, it may vary an inch here or an inch there. But this is it.

It is our nature as designers to think that "another shape might be better".

Get over it. I had to.

As a designer, I try to get the "big parts" right. It has taken four years. I leave it to others to refine... changing a % here and there. Isn't it better to be spend our time refining the correct shape rather than wasting time on a foolish one?

Speaking of refining... To keep this post brief (so you can respond) I have developed only those parts that would be hard for you to make yourself. The proposed Vetter Streamliner Kit reflects much more than the correct shape. It is be made up of five curvy fiberglass pieces that can be economically shipped. The tail is a simple cone of .020" aluminum or milk carton paper with an aluminum foil tape skin. Everything is designed to be light, cheap, easy to repair and available where you are.

The whole point of these posts are to find out if anybody actually is interested in buying Vetter Streamliner Kits. I do not want to waste time providing solutions to problems you don't think you have.

Comments?

Craig
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cvetter For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-30-2013), HHOTDI (12-04-2012)