View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 11:05 PM   #24 (permalink)
wmjinman
Master EcoModder

Jimmy - '00 GMC Jimmy SLT
90 day: 21.18 mpg (US)

The White Gnat - '99 Suzuki Swift
Team Suzuki
90 day: 51.87 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
Been using rain-x for close to 40 years, grumpy wife complains about me not turning on the wipers, EVEN THOUGH YOU CAN'T SEE ANY BETTER WITH THEM ON.

regards
Mech
OK, I'll show my ignorance here . . . I've never used "RainX" before. So how's it work? You spray it on your windshiled (I assume), and then it causes the rain to not blind you? What, it beads up and blows off faster or something? How about when you go to the gas station & scrub the bugs off with the squeegee? Do you need to reapply the RainX after that? Does it ever build up & cloud/fog the windshield or anything?

Another unrealted question: I have the stock clutch fan (I think) on my Jimmy. It looks like a little turbine, with like 8 blades or something, made of a milky white plastic of some sort and a really serious looking pitch on the blades. But I spun it by hand, so I guess it's that "viscous coupling" or whatever they call it. Now - is it costing me MPG by being a power parasite, and if so how much? If I just removed it, would I have problems and/or save any gas?

Thanks in advance,
Bill