View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 11:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
On a bike I rarely P&G but I time the 46 lights on my typical daily commute and coast as much as possible. In my car or truck I coast a lot more. The grades here are never more steep than the downhill side of the overpass portion of an Interstate cloverleaf. My best gain is to draft-coast downhill on the Interstate. On route 143 which is 4 lanes not divided for 7 miles east of my neighborhood, I will coast down every downhill portion of that road, as long as I am not interfering with traffic. If someone is tailgating me and the left lane is open I might coast much further to get them to pass. I know every road around here from decades of driving them, and my routes will change depending on the traffic and even the day of the week and the time of day. Friday afternoon I take different routes to avoid the possible gridlock on the Interstate. There is a particular secion of road, with a 45 MPH speed limit where I can get exceptional mileage for 2 miles in any vehicle. I know when to accelerate to catch the green lights and when to coast up to the next light. I do not usually do engine off coasting, but I might try it in the Ranger on some stretches. In the Fiesta I am not about to do EOC with the automated transmission, just coasting in neutral, engine on.

regards
Mech

Last edited by user removed; 09-02-2013 at 09:09 PM..