View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 08:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
YeahPete
EcoModding Apprentice

TheCav - '04 Chevy Cavalier LS
Hills:
I pulse up hills 80% throttle. to 60-70mph depending on the length of hill. I make sure that I am going 5 mph over the speed limit at the top of the hill. I then coast all the way down until 40mph or I must begin another uphill ascent.

Flat:
I have noticed huge gains in my mpg once I started pulse and gliding on flat land that I used to just keep a speady speed of 50mph on. I also noticed any steady speed slower than 50mph netted worse mpg. With the speed limit 55 I pulse to 60, glide to 40.

Scanguage shows a .2 increase in my mpg EVERY pulse and glide I do on flat land. That is: at 50mph in the middle of my next pulse I have .2 mpg more than what I had in the previous pulse at 50mph.

Passing:
I stop pulse and glide to allow the driver 1 opportunity to pass me when there is no shoulder for me to pull onto. I go 5 under the speed limit for ~1 minute if there are no cars coming from the other direction. If the driver is too scared to pass, he gets to ride the roller coaster that is pule and glide until I feel there is a safe shoulder for me to let him pass.

My last 2 fillups were 45.35mpg and 42.something
EPA 23-33
The Following User Says Thank You to YeahPete For This Useful Post:
dirtydave (05-29-2014)