View Single Post
Old 06-12-2008, 10:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
Johnny Mullet
Hi-Tech Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Johnny Mullet Send a message via MSN to Johnny Mullet
I took the junkyard trans and set it right in the parts washer at work and cleaned it and flushed it with the plug out. I then set it up and put one quart of regular ATF trans fluid and let it sit for an hour. I drained that out to make sure it was clean inside. I then added a fresh coat of "Kentucky Chrome" to the entire case and installed 2 new axle seals................

Putting the trans in was a real nightmare. Getting the wife to help was OK minus all the complaining. I hung over the driver's fender and had her on the floor with a milk crate. Got it into position finally, but she had a hell of a time trying to get the passenger axle shaft in while I tried to wiggle it into place. In the process, coolant started leaking from the long coolant tube that goes along side the block and into the back of the water pump. The O-ring in there must have torn. I guess I will fix that tomorrow somehow.

I decided to take it for a spin to see if it was OK even though the leak was going on. I drove it 1/4 mile up the road and the car shifted very smoothly and made no noises at all. It was like a completely different car.

GeoMetroforum.com - got mpg?