View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 09:45 PM   #28 (permalink)
ECONORAM
halos.com

ECONORAM - '07 Dodge RAM 1500 QC SLT flex-fuel
90 day: 18.16 mpg (US)

the Avenger - '08 Dodge Avenger SXT
90 day: 27.06 mpg (US)
Send a message via Yahoo to ECONORAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternStarSCR View Post
This addresses a lot of the questions about vehicle and transmission specifics for hypermiling the best you can with an auto.

Top 3 ideas I saw:
1. Dont key off, or EOC
2. D to N for coasting should be fine (be mindful not to put it in reverse!)
3. Get a UG or SG to find out spots and wasy to optimize when your TC locks and when you are on DFCO in your car

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ing-23931.html
Agreed WesternStar; one of the hardest things I have is making sure the converter locks in 5th gear. I keep an eye on the vacuum gauge and the tach. The MPGuino has been pretty handy, but I think I'll either employ something from autospeed (a DIY indicator of some sort) or an OBD unit.
If my steering wasn't so heavy, and I had a stick EOC might actually work...

[edit] I found some relays that I think will work for me: http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-RELAY-and...80826731730%26
These will open the circuit when activated, which is what I'm aiming for. 1 per cylinder...
I realize I won't save lots of gallons of fuel, but with the amount of slowing down for lights that I have to do, and the engine computer's desire to maintain a high idle all the time, I figure I'll save at least some go-go juice. Watching the MPGuino, I've never seen regular coasting yield over 50mpg, yet the wife's Avenger will show 150mpg when coasting off I-35 on the off-ramps. My plan is to wire two switches in parallel, one to the throttle that will close the circuit when the throttle closes, and the other to the cockpit. I can then flip the switch in the cockpit when I feel I can coast... The grand plan is to wire some sort of way to only allow it to engage once the tranny reaches 3rd gear, then I'd probably get rid of the cockpit switch. But that's a ways down the road.

Last edited by ECONORAM; 12-17-2012 at 10:48 PM.. Reason: future DFCO plans...