View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 03:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
WesternStarSCR
Busting Knuckles Often

Blue Maxx - '04 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT
Team Chevy
90 day: 26.96 mpg (US)

Tink's Van - '08 Chrysler Town & Country Touring
90 day: 19.09 mpg (US)

2004 5 Speed Goldrolla - '04 Toyota Corolla CE
Team Toyota
90 day: 36.3 mpg (US)
Subscribed

Thanks for starting this.

OK, my starting point will be January 1st, 2013

I am gonna run my Lucas UCL in wife's Chrysler T&C van and my Maxx for December, to get rid of it. I will use empty Lucas bottle for measure and dispense of TC-W 3.

Car #1:
Tink's Van is a 2008 T&C with 3.8. V6, about 60k miles.

She does not hypermile, thinks my pizza pans on my wheels are bizarre, and generally will be a blind subject. I will offer to fill her gas for her starting Jan. 1. (Christmas present I will say)

With her driving style, this eliminates any eco friendly driving techniques to account for any change in MPG. It will take a while to get a trend line, due to her style, and the weather in Detroit. I keep Full Synthetic 5W-30 in the van, and it eats oil, I guess this engine is known for it. Eats front brakes too. Her driving style mixed with undersized rotors.

So I will keep tabs on mileage and oil consumption on the van, using the 1 oz to 5 gallon ratio.

Car #2:
Blue Maxx will get same treatment. Results may be skewed (hopefully for more MPG) when I put on Pizza Pan wheels on prior to the New Year.

Notes:
I will not be doing any planned, out of the way, testing for this. If I do any testing, maybe it will be for coastdown after the pizza pan wheels are done and I have good weather.

But my goal is to attempt to see if we do this to a blind, non-involved, typical driver that has mostly city driving to work and shuttling kids around, and we have a long enough trend line to smooth it out, will we see something of an improvement?

Blue Maxx hopefully will take the treatment good also. Although with pizza pans, and me asking for an Ultra Gauge for Christmas, starting the TC-W 3 should only help, even if it flaws my testing a bit, by combining mods at the same time? Oh well.

My wife's numbers will be the one I am most curious about...

Last edited by WesternStarSCR; 12-05-2012 at 03:21 PM..