View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
serialk11r
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
A spoiler or [horizontal] Bonneville plate would occupy the black area under the curve.

My suggestion, wheel spats:

OK, now you're just trolling.
lol, I'm not, I consider vortex generators to be pretty low key as far as aesthetics go. The concern is that the rear end is so far inside the template, maybe it would be useful to get the air to attach earlier but I don't really understand how it works, so it's just a guess.

Thanks for the wheel spats suggestion, that really wasn't on my mind. I think they'd have to be more subtle than what you drew in because the stock springs are actually somewhat soft so I wouldn't want to risk my spats getting destroyed.

However I don't have the stock mudguards shown in that image, so it'll be a little harder to attach to the body. I did study the rear bumper behind the wheel and it seem like a good aerodynamic shape, but it just sits a bit high as of now. If the stock struts need replacing I will probably just lower the car a little while I'm at it, right now the car is able to go through most of the smoother speed bumps at a full 20mph (there are those annoying speed bumps in some areas that are a rectangular block, and it's impossible to not scrape on them no matter how slowly I go because the car just falls off the end and impacts), I wouldn't mind having to slow down to 10 and be more careful about curbs. If it's lowered that would reduce the wheels' drag by some amount. The fenders poke out past the wheels a decent amount so I'm not too concerned with the wheel spokes themselves.

The trickiest modification I'd like to do is some buttresses along the side a la Ferrari 360 Spider, but the aesthetics are once again a bit tricky.

Last edited by serialk11r; 12-06-2012 at 09:31 PM..