Thread: Oil temp
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 12:05 AM   #10 (permalink)
wmjinman
Master EcoModder

Jimmy - '00 GMC Jimmy SLT
90 day: 21.18 mpg (US)

The White Gnat - '99 Suzuki Swift
Team Suzuki
90 day: 51.87 mpg (US)
Thanks for this, guys.

I'm watching with distress as my mileage keeps dropping as the temps drop and I'm doing less highway testing. Because of these short trips, I'm thinking I should get some sort of engine pre-heater. I'm thinking about one of those KAT's silicone "pad" heaters for the bottom of the oil pan (150 watt), AND one of the coolant type heaters that is installed by cutting the lower radiator hose and fitting it in there.

Any advice? Would this be enough? - too much? - potential problems?

Oh, and I had my ScanGauge set to display water temp & noticed when I first started my car this morning, both the outside air temp and coolant temp were in the low 40's. I hit my stopwatch when the engine started & took off. In a few blocks of city driving (EOC at stoplights), it took 3.5 minutes for the water to reach 100 deg. F. and after about 5 minutes (when I reached my destination), it was only at around 125 deg. F. or so. Does this sound "normal"? This afternoon, in some longer duration operation, it seemed to stabilize at around 172 deg. Wondering if I should be concerned about my thermostat or anything???

Thanx in advance...