View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 10:27 AM   #14 (permalink)
jared1970
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
But you said you want to use a small generator and that you don't want to use a battery buffer, so how are you going to get decent acceleration?

A 7,000 watt generator is a decent size, diesel ones look to weigh nearly 400 pounds and can put out a steady 6,300 watts, have you ever driven an electric car while keeping the watt draw under 7,000 watts? my little 1,400 pound electric car can draw 24,000 watts or more to get up to speed, once it's up to speed the draw drops down to around 5,000 to 8,000 watts but if I had to keep it's power draw that low it would take me close to two blocks to get up to 35mph.
Thank you! That is exactly the kind of insight I was looking for. I'm not an electrical engineer or even terribly knowledgeable about electricity, but when you explain the wattage requirements that's something I can understand. So, it sounds like the power (watts) to weight ratio would be absolutely horrid if such a system were used in a car.

One question I have, though, is why does it work so well in buses that seem to accelerate pretty well? How do they get around this problem?