View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 11:15 AM   #15 (permalink)
Ryland
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Quote:
Originally Posted by jared1970 View Post
One question I have, though, is why does it work so well in buses that seem to accelerate pretty well? How do they get around this problem?
Battery buffer! it doesn't take a huge battery pack if you just need it to get up to speed, I personally wouldn't use lead acid batteries, but if you did want to I would use regular starting batteries because they can handle quicker discharge the small group 51 battery in my car is 500 cold cranking amps and 40 amp hours, it's about as small as you will find in a car, drain it down half way and you have 240 watt hours, but you can pull over 5,000 watts out of that single battery for about 2 minutes, string a number of them together for higher voltage and you have enough power to get you up to highway speed! coasting down a slight hill and your generator is producing extra power, that gets dumped in to the battery bank, sitting at a stop sign and you can dump a lot of energy in to that battery bank instead of throttling back your engine.
Lithium batteries of course would be lighter and handle the quick charge and discharging much better.