View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 12:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
2000neon
Master EcoModder

VX - '94 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 47.95 mpg (US)
Fiberglass over fleece/ wood

I have been thinking about a kammback for my VX for a while now, but only if I can do it to factory quality and relatively factory appearing. This has left me at using fiberglass, which I have never done before, I am going to play around a bit and build some random thing to try my hand at it first, but the plan is to do it myself.

After watching the Trucks show on Powerblock, it gave me some ideas on how to go about starting the kammback. They used a 1/4" wire frame, stretched fleece over it and used resin to solidify the fleece. I have doubts about how tough that would be though, so I am strongly considering fiberglass mat for structure, but still using the fleece to get my shape. My first question is can I add fiberglass to just one side (the underside) for better support.

I am hoping to take the factory small kammback off all together and start from scratch using the factory mounting locations, so it will be completely removable. As a base I was thinking about using wood as a starting point.
This raises a few questions, will I be able to glass over the wood without moisture being an issue? Will the fleece/ fiberglass bond to the wood at all? To avoid moisture issues, would I be better to fully enclose the wood, or leave the bottom exposed?

As far as shape, I should be able to do it "relatively easily", with the fleece or wire rod frame. The steel rod frame would set into grooves in the wood. As for mounting to the car, I am thinking about drilling through the wood, and drop bolts through with the heads countersunk in, and the threads through the bottom to replicate the factory set up. I know I suck at explaining things, but it seems to make sense in my head...

Any problems jumping out at anyone that I missed? Thanks in advance.