View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 06:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
J-Ro
EcoModding Lurker

Vehicle Ground Problem

Hi Guys,

I've been doing my first few test power-ups and finally moving my EV under its own power.

I noticed my Iota AC-DC (Now DC-DC Converter) wasn't charging my 12 volt system battery. In diagnosing this I discovered (not sure if this is the iota issue or not) that the vehicle chassis ground is at a high voltage in reference to the high voltage ground (i have a 144v pack). Now I'm less concerned about the Iota working and the fact that my grounds are somehow intermixed.

I disconnected everything, the DC-DC converter, Precharge circuit, Contactor circuit, low voltage wires going to the Open Revolt Controller down to the point that only all the heavy cabling is connected. Still I have this very large potential on the vehicle chassis.

Right now I have 134.2v sitting in my controller capacitors because the Iota had been hooked up for a period of time and drew them down to that level from the ~155ish v full battery charge and the chassis ground is at 107.7v. I haven't been able to develop a relationship between the CAP voltage and vehicle ground but I do know that when there's less volts in the caps there is less vehicle ground potential as well.

Any ideas?