View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 10:22 PM   #175 (permalink)
niky
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspectnumber961 View Post
You are mostly just being simple-minded and are not seeing the bigger picture. Research does not happen in a vacuum...it is influenced by $ and prejudices.
So a study on rats, GMOs and cancer risk undertaken by a known anti-GMO activist and homeopathic pharma shill who just happened to release his new book on GMOs at the same time did not have any ulterior motive attached to it, either, I suppose.

Quote:
You need to be asking this: WHY isn't independent longer-term research being REQUIRED and funded before GMOs.... for instance...are unleashed on the world??
Tell me. Why do we assess cancer risks in humans in multi-year or decade-long studies instead of lifetime studies? When you do research over "long-term", "long-term" being defined as the expected lifespan of the research animal, the signal-to-noise ratio goes down. A lot.

Quote:
As far as Indian farmers...there is a woman in India that would have the hard info...she speaks perfect English....do the deep research.
Why don't you? I live in a third-world country, attend various seminars on the plight of poor farmers and new approaches in agriculture and how to help them. I'm quite aware of the problems facing third-world farming in the absence of GMOs. And those problems don't go away WITH GMOs.

Quote:
The articles I post and link to are supposed to be a START...not the final analysis.
So... what's wrong with analyzing, then?

Quote:
You do a good bit of damage with your simple denial of overall realities...my advice...DON'T FEED THE DUMMIES. Unless you are secretly working for Monsanto...et. al....then of course...it is AOK in a capitalistic system where the corps run the show.
Oh, dear me. I hope Monsato didn't forget my check in the mail. And my seed packets. Not a single GMO within thousands of miles of me. And I live in a town that used to be farmland as far as the eye can see. We've got to rectify that, soon.

I suppose I'm not a very good denier when I say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by niky View Post
Again, I am perfectly willing to accept that Monsato is a vile, profiteering, dangerous agricultural monopolist that promotes bad practices and maybe sells dangerous products. And that excessive fertilizer and pesticide use is bad for the environment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by niky View Post
As for crop patenting... cross-pollination makes such lawsuits problematic... and frivolous. You'd have to prove (as the corporation) that there is a systematic attempt to steal your property. Suing farmers for having fields with scattered samples of your seeds IS one of the unethical things Monsato et al are doing.
Please overlook those statements when writing my check, please.

-

On a completely different tack. That last link was thought-provoking. Looks like a good book.

Last edited by niky; 12-09-2012 at 10:37 PM..