View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 10:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
myrefugeisintheLord
Learning Aeromodding

Metro - '93 Geo Metro 4 door hatchback
90 day: 35.26 mpg (US)
Learning how to beat EPA via hypermiling takes time too. I didn't see much of an increase for the first year. But then I was having to unlearn how to drive with a lead foot too.

P&G IS helpful with an auto. I only just started doing that this last Summer. And it upped my mileage by quite a bit.

One thing with an auto, is it's ALWAYS idling. In that you can't EOC. So the longer you take to get somewhere, the more it's idling. It's frustrating to me, when I'm in a hurry, I hypermile at a higher speed, and sometimes make it to my normal destination with less mileage, but not by as much as I might have guess it would be. Considering the speed and all. Utilizing aero mods would be a huge help to any auto.

And yes, accelerating faster is sometimes better. Personally, I start from a stop pretty slow and smooth. And about every second accelerate faster and faster. Getting it up to 80-85% Engine Load in a matter of 6 seconds or so. It's enough for about 4 cars to pass me from a stop. I have a heavier vehicle, so I figure it's better to get it started at a slower speed, but once going, I get her up to speed pretty quick.

If you're coasting in N, I assume too that you're sitting at lights in N as well? Keeping it in D with your foot on the brake uses up unnecessary fuel. I also adjusted my idle speed down as low as it would let me. 650 RPMs at a stop. I could go lower, but the RAV has built in precautions to keep me from doing that. Also, when driving I haven't seen the RPMs get any lower then 900. RAVadoodle takes care of herself.

One note about it being hot down there, I have found it doesn't hurt my mileage much, if I have my driver window cracked, and the right back window cracked. It lets in a nice cross breeze that keeps me cooled down.

You're getting a lot of good help! Keep trying and you WILL get there!!