View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 12:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Perry
EcoModding Lurker

Noobie from newfoundland looking for mpg gains

Hey there, I came across this site site as I looked for ways to increase my mpg. So far I've tried to adjust my driving habits (really love to get one of those scan gauges) and pumped up my tires. I by no means drive the most efficient vehicle but I felt as it has potential. I drive a 2003 Chevy tracker soft top 4x4 with the 2.0L dohc and the 4 speed auto (mpg bummer). The 'new' EPA stock rating for the trucklette is 20 city 23 highway. And ok, this isn't for the faint of heart but I get an average of 17-18mpg city!!! I've done a number of this to try bring this up besides what i saw above. This included adding manual lockout hubs to replace the perma locked ones, new air filter, cleaned MAF, synthetic oil being used. The check engine light is not on (yes the bulb works! ) and i'm not sure where else to go with it?? some gearing info is; it has a 4L30-E (2.860, 1.620, 1.000, 0.723) with a 4.88 final drive. tire size is 235/75r15. The only other thing worth mentioning is the second cat has been removed (no o2 sensors past first cat). I know you guys know what kinda stuff drags down mpg so if you have any idea let me know!

also this got sorta long and detailed for a intro so move if necessary