View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 02:35 PM   #24 (permalink)
Beau
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcane View Post
Thanks for that, that is very interesting.

TCW3 oil is one of the better performers (not in the top tier though) and certainly a very good value. I do wonder how it does in lower doses though and how well this translates as a gasoline additive. Their testing has it at 1oz per 1.5 gallons rather than the 1oz per 5 gallons that is typically recommended for gasoline engines.

Also intriguing is that MMO came up as no statistical difference in lubricity. Now, there may be other reasons for using it, but lubricity was my primary concern, so I'll stick with the TCW3.
For the purpose of this test, the ratios were intended for diesel - even still - I am assuming there is some positive correlation between the results of this test (the addition of TC-W3 lubricty being a net improvement in lubricity) and a similar test if it had been run with gasoline (and the reduced TC-W3 to gasoline ratio). It seems, if nothing else, that TC-W3 does not appear to reduce gasoline libricity.

But I do not have definative information to back that assumption up.

The study does include some other products (with a higher improvement in lubricity) that appear to be suitable for either diesel or gasoline.