View Single Post
Old 06-13-2008, 12:54 PM   #19 (permalink)
NeilBlanchard
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Hello,

Okay, I stand corrected. But, I do know that making hydrogen through electrolysis is pretty inefficient, and depending on how much hydrogen is needed to have the desired effect -- is there a net gain of energy? IOW, does this scheme increase the overall efficiency of the engine?

[Edit: I watched the video the OP linked to, and it shows how to make hydrogen -- but how would one connect this in a controllable manner to ones vehicle? I use steam humidifiers that run on a very similar principle (They use carbon rods as electrodes) -- I'm puzzled by the need for distilled water which they then add salt to? The salt conducts electricity through the water (pure water is actually an insulator!), so it would also work fine to just use tap water. Of course, the mineral and chlorine content are going to vary...

What happens to the oxygen?

Lastly, if the device draws anywhere near 100 amps (that would be 1200watts!), this would severely load your alternator, and therefore the added load is greater than the energy released into the hydrogen -- so the gains of efficiency in combustion would have to be pretty large.]

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/

Last edited by NeilBlanchard; 06-13-2008 at 01:14 PM..