View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 11:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varn
The sidewalls of a street tire (you are thinking of doing this for the street?) are thin. It would be prudent to stay away from them. Think about a flat tire at night in freezing conditions.
As I recall, bias ply tires would lay the sidewall right down on the pavement in corners. But as I said I think it would press but not rub. I suspect the Mariani roadster runs ~1/4" clearance and the lip outside the circle of fasteners will flex as much as the sidewall.

Quote:
You might consider using the widest recommended rim for the tire. It makes for a flush (almost) transition. Nothing to bolt on or off your tire for service. Less to fall off. I am using 155 section tires on 6" (152mm inside width) wide rims aero wheels on my vw.
Great turn-in, right?

What sort of VW? I've gone from 145s on 5.5" to 165/50/15 (in front). I've watched tire shop guys struggle to spread 145s onto a wide rim, and others just shake it up and down and they pop right on.

Quote:
I know you are set on your overall design. Consider that having the wheels set out from the body invites a lot of interference drag.
That design is circa 1995—although it seems to work for Mariani Farms. The details not shown well include an airfoil shaped cantilevered axle beam, concealed shocks (hard) and sway bar (easy), and the inner wheel fairing shown in the sketch. That leaves the steering and brake lines. The wheels are pushed forward 8" and outward 6" from the stock location.

Lately I've headed into a different direction—the Very Light Volkswagen (VLVW), inspired in part by the Edison 2 VLC. I've been struggling in 3d and in 1/32 scale plastic. I should lower my standards and scan a pen and pencil sketch. Want to see it?

Last edited by freebeard; 12-11-2012 at 11:39 PM.. Reason: punctuation