View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 11:12 AM   #32 (permalink)
WesternStarSCR
Busting Knuckles Often

Blue Maxx - '04 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT
Team Chevy
90 day: 26.96 mpg (US)

Tink's Van - '08 Chrysler Town & Country Touring
90 day: 19.09 mpg (US)

2004 5 Speed Goldrolla - '04 Toyota Corolla CE
Team Toyota
90 day: 36.3 mpg (US)
I am a skeptic as well, here was our starting point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
I'm not sure how the results of using 2 stroke oil in gasoline engines is going to be quantified. Use in diesel fuel is well tested, and TC-W3 is so-so as a lubricity additive, but what on earth would the benefit be in gasoline engines? It will likely reduce octane, and at the low levels being tested, the very low lubricity of gasoline is likely not affected (not that extra lubricity is necessary).

Post results. I am curious to read more than anecdotes about smoother idling, you know to save fuel you should not be idling much anyway, right?
This first post here lists the info you are asking about, in terms of the 'why':

TC-W3 Testing on the LS-1 Forums

The good thing is that this LS1 forum has a long track record of approx. 2% to 5% MPG increase. And that was basically side effect for this particular LS1 forum. But, that gets into the margin of error for home testing for sure.

The good thing that this EM thread is that we use an off the self product that is inexpensive and is not being hawked by a member with only sales motives. So it is cheap and easy to test for us, or at least try it instead of the other more expensive things like Lucas UCL or MMO that we may be purchasing every so often anyway.

I am using my unsuspecting wife's van as test vehicle, to discount any mods or hypermiling. It burns oil, and maybe it will help seal it better.

I hope to see an MPG increase, but if I see her van running nice and not burning as much oil, that is also a positive for me. So I plan on being as scientific as I can.

But, this is why it is an open discussion, vs. a very specific test; so people can try it out for our own reasons, and report experiences, anecdotal, scientific, or otherwise, and others can make of it what they want from our experiences

Hope that helps explain this thread. No one has skin in this game, like some other threads, pushing expensive fuel additives. So it seems to encourage more honest dialouge I have found.

Thanks for your interest!