View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 07:24 PM   #15 (permalink)
steve05ram360
EcoModding Apprentice

trucks a 4x4 and lifted 3"... there is a whole lotta crap hanging down below the oem air dam

Just got back from the material search.... found a 5" wide landscape border that should work fine. It is brown however so I will have to paint it if it stays. It is also not smooth so I may have to do something with that. It is thin enough to be able to mold it to the shape I want, will probably have to get a heat gun to help shape some of it.

on a side note... during the drive today (city mostly) I decided to block the air intake from the front of the truck and force it to draw air in from the engine compartment. Tossed up the obdII monitor to watch IAT's and observed that the motor felt (no really, butt dyno verified hahaha) noticeably stronger on the bottom end. Its been my contention that the motor runs best with ambient temps in the 80~90*f range. Today temps are colder than what it has been in the past few days and with the IAT's up 10~15* from yesterday...two thumbs up..

In case anyone is wondering I have a goal to get a consistent 20 mpg out of my truck without removing the lift. I have already given the truck a partial makeover in the form of lighter wheels, taller, narrower tires and ditched the boat anchor tonneau cover I had on there. I have been able to squeeze out a 21.5 mpg over 150 mile trip from Sacramento to Fresno so I know I'm heading in the right direction. Once I have it dialed in with the air dam & 2 other mods I want to do I will switch over to writing a mpg tune for the motor. Should be able to improve it over what its doing now.
The Following User Says Thank You to steve05ram360 For This Useful Post:
WesternStarSCR (12-12-2012)