View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 12:39 AM   #97 (permalink)
mechman600
Master EcoModder

Fusion - '16 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
Despite the fact that my new charger needs constant babysitting, it has caused my economy to skyrocket by about 30% (now THERE'S a single ecomod for the record books!):

My last "fill" was a record 432Wh/mi. This sounds like a pile of horrible inefficiency (for an electric car), but allow me to defend my car for a second.

1. I charge at work and at home on either side of a tiny 4 mile commute. What I should be doing is only charging at work or at home because discharging the batteries deeper (with a longer charge) is much more efficient than multiple "top up" charges. This is because charging batteries is the most efficient during the bulk charge (when output current is max and pack voltage is still low). Efficiency drops during the later absorption charge (when max pack voltage is maintained and charging current is slowly dialed back until fully charged). What happens during absorption stage is that a lot of energy is wasted as heat/electrolyte bubbling in the batteries.

2. Cold weather is taking its toll on battery efficiency in general. It has been 2-8C the last couple of weeks.

3. My heater has been turned on most of the time. That's 675 watts of constant battery draw just to keep me cozy.