View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 04:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
sarguy01
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5
90 day: 25.22 mpg (US)

Big D - '11 Dodge Durango Crew
90 day: 18.75 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
I've seen these cars (even the 3-cyl versions) go well past 200k, properly maintained. Around here, rust is what kills these cars, not mechanical/drivetrain issues.

Assuming it lived its whole life down south, you shouldn't have the dreaded front control arm mount rot. That's its Achille's heel. (Where the front suspension tears off and wheels go their separate ways, etc.)

If you have the opportunity to do a compression check, I would, just for peace of mind (195 PSI is spec, if I recall). About the only other big thing to check is the transmission 2nd gear syncrho can be a weak point. Watch for grinding when shifting briskly (usually worst downshifting from 3rd).

Though that's not strictly a deal-killer, since you could always double-clutch to minimize the problem. But that's a pain in the butt/convenience issue that may have you hating the car after a while.

Good, worthy goal!

Assuming it's in reasonable shape: get the Metro. Since it's a manual, you should be able to squeeze good mileage from it, even though it's the 4-cyl engine. (The automatics sucked, MPG-wise, and that's usually what you find in the sedans.)

If you're handy and can do basic/intermediate level repairs and maintenance, the price difference between this car and the others makes it a no brainer (again, assuming it's in reasonable condition). By spending $1k instead of $4k, you essentially have yourself a $3000 "insurance policy" for repairs/maintenance down the road, should you need it. $3k buys a fair amount of fuel, too.

And regardless of what you get, congrats on dumping the 2nd car payment! I know too many "car rich/cash poor" people paying interest for the privelege of owning a depreciating, money-sucking asset.
Thanks for the reply. I will check the front end out for rust and run through the gears. I don't have a compression tester, so that I will chance.

I am pretty good with a wrench. I can and have done most things mechanical on cars including engine/trans swaps, clutches, etc. It really saves money when one can do the work and not need a shop to do it. Rockauto and Pepboys coupons are awesome places for parts...I have a garage with room for a car, most tools and if that doesn't work, there is a self use auto shop on base that has lifts and most auto tools/equipment.

I look at a high mileage Metro this way...say I pay 1000 for this car... That was 2.5 payments of the car I just sold. If I can get a year out of this car with a minimal investment, I will be thrilled. Also, I have another vehicle that the wife will drive and we will take on road trips. I am going to the Metro around town. If the front end falls off in 3 months, oh well!! I seriously doubt that though.

The only thing is, as a maintenance officer in a fighter jet squadron filled with pilots that drive bimmers and Range Rovers, I am going to catch hell for driving a Metro! I am sure it will be entertaining to say the least!