View Single Post
Old 06-13-2008, 03:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jon M
Think Green

Hondud - '97 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 34.77 mpg (US)

3OOOGT - '95 Mitsubishi 3000GT
90 day: 21.76 mpg (US)

Tacoma - '09 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
90 day: 18.29 mpg (US)
Accidental Ecomodder / Hypermiler

97 Civic LX - Minnesota

I bought my Civic last Sept purely for a winter beater. It got such great MPG that I began challenging myself and the car to do better.

This has continued since I've had the car and rarely drive my summer car anymore. I didn't think much of it but would get irritated by the people that complain about gas prices yet do 10-15 miles over all the time. I essentially "wished" more people thought the way I do.

Then, I saw a story on Yahoo or somewhere, and learned there are VAST amounts of people that are doing the same thing and have even been defined: HYPERMILERS.

Until I found this website, I didn't take the challenge too terribly seriously. But after lurking here for the last couple days and reading thru numerous threads, I'm determined to squeeze everything I can out of that little 4-banger.

The main technique that I have been employing is the most obvious: driving habits. But, after seeing various other techniques here and reading through the hypermiler wiki, I will slowly begin to incorporate more "advanced" techniques into my daily commutes.

The first thing to do is get the ScanGaugeII, though I have been thinking about how great it would be to have something that would compute instantaneuos gas mileage, I didn't know they had something like that so a big thank you to this site for filling me in on that.

Then I'll go on to gutting the interior, tire selection, motor oil, and the like.

In case your wondering, I'm at about 36mpg now and know I can get FAR better than that.

Jon M