View Single Post
Old 12-15-2012, 10:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
racerboy146
EcoModding Lurker

question about aerodynamics on my 323

I know this is a forum for ecomodding, and a race car is the exact opposite of ecomodding, but I have a race car and I don't know as much about aerodynamics as I'd like to know, and I was hoping maybe you guys could help me out. (Although, with the amount of aerodynamic stuff I have planned for this car, maybe it might get better fuel efficiency, therefor maybe it is ecomodding after all. ) Also, sorry for the long post, but I want to give as much info as possible, so that you guys can picture the car, and help me.

Anyways, here is a little background info on the car. I have a 1992 mazda 323 hatchback I am going to be building into a race car, and I am planning on doing tons of aero mods on it to reduce drag and increase downforce over the front tires to help turn the car better. (First I gotta fix all the dents, though. lol) I plan on chopping the roof down a couple inches for drag reduction, but it's going to be a lot of work. I'd like to make it as simple as possible, so that it doesn't take as long to do, and I have been thinking about leaving the rear hatch off the car when I'm done for multiple reasons, including: the time it takes to modify the hatch to fit the chopped roof, less weight (reducing weight is VERY important to me), and our not running a rear hatch window. I can't run a window on the driver side door, due to safety reasons (doors are welded shut, and I need a way to get out quickly and safely in case something happens like a fire, or something), and I'm guessing that will let air into the driver compartment. I'm guessing with a rear hatch window, the air in the cockpit would have nowhere to go, therefor causing a parachute effect. I am planning on sealing off the rear side windows (and maybe the passenger side window) with lexan for aerodynamic reasons. And this leads to my question. Should I remove the rear deck lid? Without the glass, I'm guessing the aerodynamics are already not that good, but will removing the rest of the hatch make the aerodynamics worse, or better? Without the hatch, I am guessing that whatever air is in the driver compartment will escape easier, but I'm new to aerodynamics, and don't know if my thoughts are correct or not. I am attaching a picture of the rear hatch area so that you guys can maybe help me figure this out.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0921.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	12052  

Last edited by racerboy146; 12-16-2012 at 09:24 PM..