View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012, 08:18 PM   #97 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
This tank will probably be worse than the last. Rain, road construction, and different routes will cost me some, I think. The next tank will have the tires, wheels, and wheel covers as the upgrades, but winter weather could cost some MPG. It would be nice to see 35+ on the next tank. So far the log has been consistently increasing, should know about this tank maybe by tomorrow. Next one will be interesting, then maybe I'll get to finish the rear part of the cap.

On the subject of engines, we may see some of the best of old tech and new tech in the future. Ford's ecoboost 3 cylinder has a cast iron head, with the exhaust manifold and turbo integral with the head. Faster warm up times even with cast iron but cast iron also transfers heat much slower than aluminum. I thnk also a cast iron block. I remember a long time ago the Ford 6 cylinders had one of the manifolds cast integral with the head. Maybe in the future they will eliminate the head gasket as well as intake and exhaust gaskets, can't fail if they aren't there.

With performance taking a back seat to efficiency we may see some interesting combinations. Nice thing about using cast iron in heads and block in the same engine is the head gasket is subject to much less stress when the parts expand and contract at the same rate. Who knows, maybe they will go back to steel pistons like my old 1937 Ford, with the top ring almost at the top of the piston to reduce the trapped unburned fuel. Remember the "Head land" pistons and rings?

regards
Mech