View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 02:49 PM   #105 (permalink)
ctgottapee
EcoModding Lurker

the old boat - '93 Cadillac Deville *removed/modified
90 day: 24.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoD~ View Post
Anywho, saw your line-loop on your power steering. A word of advise: convert it! I drove with a line loop for YEARS. It's easier than having a power steering pump hooked up w/o a belt, but it's still quite the challenge w/o movement. I had to rebuild my engine, so while I had it out, I completely re-did all the suspension components (for peace of mind)... while I was at it, I dropped the rack, pulled it all apart, took out the piston, greased it well, sealed it up, and re-installed it. The results were definitely worth the effort! Two handed, I can turn at a dead stop w/o too much of an issue. Just barely any rolling movement and 1 handed is very easy. At anything over 5MPH, it's pretty on-par with power steering, IMO. Once in a while, I drive a car w/ power steering and the only time I notice it is at a dead stop or VERY low speeds.

There are several write-ups out there on how to do it. Can't say the same for ALL racks (I followed one that wasn't for my car specifically, but everything was very much the same), but the mechanics seem to be pretty standardized. It's more just messy and time consuming that it is difficult. Only cost for me was the grease (I went w/ synthetic grease).

What would the search terms for this be, or the slang name for this type of conversion?