Thread: Aloha!
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 04:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
chickmagnt311
EcoModding Lurker

Chomper - '97 Ford F150 XLT
90 day: 14.76 mpg (US)
Aloha!

Hi,

Newb here. I've been in to hypermiling for many years now, mostly due to the fact that I'm cheap, and I like to stretch my dollar. On the other hand, however, I'm not afraid to spend a bit of time and money to try a product or fabricate something to improve my mileage. My cars are as follows: 2008 Lexus IS250 (I don't play with that, mostly the wife drives) and I also have a 97 f150 4x4 w/5.4 v8. Not the most economical thing for a daily driver, but A. It's paid off, B. The a/c works well (when the wife rides in it), C. I like mud, camping, beach, and hunting, not to mention I'm the token friend with a truck, lol, and most importantly, D. I fear big change. I average 17-20 mpg on the Lexus (Hawaii traffics sucks bad-was 22-26 in Vegas, and as much as 29 on long drives). The truck averages around 13.7-14.4 mpg. I drive grandpa style. Netted me +2mpg. try not to go over 2000 rpm and try to keep a constant speed, etc. I change the oil in the beast every 5000 miles with cheap costco oil. (run royal purple synthetic in the lexus) I use the cheap oil, as the truck has a bit of miles on her 130,000, and uses about a quart every 1000-1500 miles. I change the oil filter at about 2500 miles-as dictated by my mpgs' dropping below 13.7mpg. I had a 1 micron bypass filter installed for about 3000, miles, but as i was tending to a leaky fitting, I overtorqued the fitting and cracked the filter housing.

I'm into modifications. It started with an intake, did the chip thing, but the chip I had was negated by the fact I needed to pump 91 octane into it. All maintenance is up to date, new coilpacks and plugs, new bearings and bushings, bypassed heater core (don't need heat in Hawaii). Recently tried coroplast to smooth out the underbody, but that tank netted me 12.5 mpg. I'll have to re-visit that again, and see how I can improve on what I did. Thinking about sealing up the grille a bit too, to see what that will net me.

Someday I may post pics, but I'm that guy that's worried about big brother looking at me.