Thread: check my math?
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 10:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
theunchosen
Master EcoModder

check my math?

someone wanna help check my idea?

So I wanted to try something but I had to put it on hold.

I enlisted in the military in navspecwar, and that obviously didn't pan out as of today so I have a lot more free time on my hands going forward. Thats what stopped me. Moving forward.

Alright so I want to go solar, not because I am concerned about the environment but because I wanted to save money and wanted grid independence. Solar is way too expensive to be a viable options right now. wind isn't really and geothermal is only an option for ground sourcing for HVAC. So I started looking for ways to get around it and do it myself instead of buying something.

If you're familair with solar concentration then you'll see I am not asking anything too weird...

The array is a series of mirrors(mylar) that direct the light onto a galvanized steel pipe. heat transfer fluid is oil(motor). I'm aiming for somewhere in the neighborhood of 350-400 degrees C. turbine working fluid is water(steam) at hopefully superheated conditions to avoid any turbine blade damage. Turbine itself is a car turbo. Found gears to spool the turbine down from its peak operating RPM down to 3500 rpm to run a generator. so far so good huh? Thats because none of that is anything new so I didn't get a chance to screw up yet :-).

Now we go off track.

Instead of venting the heat from the array into the air and losing some actual operational power, I want to vent the waste heat into another turbine. Not another water steam turbine. A gasoline(steam) turbine. So the heat exchanger for the water turbine dumps(closed deaerater) into the boiler of the gasoline(steam) turbine.

You might have a couple of questions at this point and thats reasonable... so ask away but any suggestions are massively helpful.