View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012, 05:45 AM   #30 (permalink)
BarelyAWake
EcoModding Apprentice

Thanks guys

hmm... I should prolly clarify that the "$400 for the kit" is an adjusted price, while it's more than I paid - that's for the new, updated GM MP3 which reportedly has better connectors & wiring (I've the old MP2) & the S&H is far less than it used to be, for w/e reason lol

There are ofc less costly alternates & as I "stole" the MP2 from my taddy project I figured I'd try a different one to replace it - here's an excerpt from the thread: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ole-18414.html as an example;

Quote:
So I decided to experiment some more, to take a chance with a ever so slightly more powerful hub motor, yet one that doesn't have all the bells'n whistles... or reputation for customer support as it's a "generic" no name knock-off... but w/e lol, I s'pose we'll see *shrug*

It's from a fleabay merchant, so the listings expire and as I've not tested it yet I can't recommend it.... but it seems to have some potential, it's rather drab name is: 'Rear Hub Motor Kit with 26" Rim, 7 Speed Gears Flywheel and Brake Disk' which supposedly is capable of up to 1200w from;

items in moreBatteryStore store on eBay!

...for a mere $250, I'm willing enough to give the kit a shot, but ofc that doesn't include the pesky batteries - the real cost of an electric setup.
...not particularly surprising, there were some issues - they sent me the incorrect controller (36 instead 0f 48v) & there was a small amount of damage to the rim - both of which they offered to make good on via a warranty return, which I didn't bother with as I've decided to use the 36v and I upgrade rims in any case lol

I've tested it (stationary run-up) & it seems to function fine, can't really tell much more at this stage as it's off getting a new rim laced on. It is about a 1/2" wider that the typical multi-speed chainstay width so some spreading is in order... but I figured I'd mention it anyway as it does seem a good deal