View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012, 05:01 PM   #540 (permalink)
IamIan
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus View Post
My contention is.........there must be a way to value for example, the benefit of less pollution.
It can ... but you have to be much more specific ... how much less of what? ... did you somehow measure a reduced amount of CO? ... or NOx? ... or some other pollutant? ... and if so , reduced by how much?

For example ... if you do not reduce CO and NOx , etc ... and other smog emissions by more than a CAT does , than you only have less pollution vs a non-CAT ... thus such a HHO system would be worth less than a CAT, at least from a value of pollution point of view.

For example my car has a Lean Burn mode that is more energy efficient , resulting in better MPG ... but it is more smog polluting at the same time , because that Lean Burn Mode increases the NOx pollution produced ... to reduce the impact of some of this increased pollution out the tail pipe but not give up the higher efficiency Lean Burn , two CATs are used ... Those CATs are putting a price / value on the smog pollution they are reducing... With the cost of the 2 CATs I still can get a decently low smog pollution levels out my exhaust... but it costs me $ those 2 CATs.